Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Exercise equipment


You don't necessarily need a gym membership or expensive equipment to live healthier.   I workout in my bedroom in a 12' x 5' area that I've cleared out.  That required moving the bed against the wall and the dressers as well.  We do what we need to do.  We recently got hardwood floors instead of carpet in the bedroom which has proven to be a bit difficult because my shoes tend to slip. 

The majority of my equipment came from a big box store and I have had most of it for a couple years.   I think that I've spent a less than $200 on all of it.  I've lost 42lbs just using these items.



10lb kettle bell  $15
3lb hand weights  $11
5lb hand weighs  $15
10lb hand weights $23


My well worn yoga mat. $30

I need to invest in a new one but this one was fairly expensive (by my standards) and it still works just fine.  I like it better than regular mats because it is thicker and my knees and elbows don't grind into the ground when I'm doing Pilates or yoga. I also use this when I am doing any high impact activity such as high knees or jumping jacks because it's easier on my joints.


Foam roller - $30

I rarely use this anymore but it does come in handy when trying to work out some of your tight muscles.  I used it when I was getting shin splints.  They make several different kinds.  This one has a flat surface as that was my preference.  There are "bumpy" surfaced ones but they left bruises on my body.  There are tons of beneficial uses for this thing.  I need to start using it.


Physio ball - $15-$20

This thing is great.  I actually own 2 of them but I think I've lent one to someone and it's not been returned.  It works your core and helps with balance.  I use it when I'm doing upper body workouts. I used to watch tv while sitting on it also.


My iPad and www.fitnessblender.com.  I use this website SOLELY to workout from.  Every lb I've lost as a result of working out came from this site.  It's FREE!

Obviously this isn't included in my total cost.  This is an invaluable tool for me.  I can put it to good use instead of just sitting in front of the tv and crushing candy.  You can use your computer, smart phone, tablet - whatever resource you have to find the videos.


This is the whole area.  That is my bed in the lower left hand corner.  It's nothing fancy.  I know that most of you have at least this much space and CAN DO IT.  Just start.  5 minutes.  Do a warm up routine.  Everyone has 10 minutes of a day that they can devote to themselves. Once you carve out that 10 minutes you'll find that the feeling you get from accomplishing it is amazing. You will find another 10 to do it.  It all adds up!


This is the photo that really made me step back and realize I needed to change something.





 I have never EVER shown this picture. 








This is me after my 1st 5k last year. I BARELY did it and it all started with just moving one day.  You just have to do it!  I've lost about 20lbs since this time. I still have a way to go but I just keep moving.  It's a never ending battle. Healthy is a lifetime not a diet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment