Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"What do you eat?"


Over the last year I've learned many things about the foods and products that I put into my body. I have tried MANY different types of foods and cooking methods.  I feel like I have had many successes and some failures along the way (Indian quesadillas and the squash soup I tried to make last night -YUCK) .  While the amount of weight I have lost is not so dramatic that I have tons of people asking me, it is noticeably significant.  Many people have asked how I've done it but the biggest question I get is what do I eat?

One of the most annoying things that I've come across is when people ask me do I even eat?  I'm not sure why this is an acceptable thing to say to someone who clearly isn't starving.  I am currently still overweight.  Yes, I eat.  Frequently. I eat 5 to 6 times a day.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 small snack in between. The snacks can consists of anything from serving of string cheese, a handful of almonds, a serving of whole grain crackers to an apple, banana, or hummus.  I only need something SMALL to tide me over until the next meal.  Please keep in mind this is just what has worked for me.  Everyone will be different and I am not a health care professional. So.... here are the basic rules that I live by when it comes to food and eating.  If anyone is interested in getting a sample menu with links to the recipes I have that too. 

I'm not a on a "diet".  It's a lifestyle change.  I know, I know.  Cliché.  It's really true.  That moment that you realize that the fast food or microwaved meal you are eating tastes like absolute SHIT compared to something that you can make in a short about of time is glorious!  The majority of food that you would consume in a restaurant if you really looked at it's nutritional value would make you puke.   The portion sizes are also double or triple what you should actually be eating!  When I have to work out, sweat pouring, almost throwing up from pushing myself so hard to make progress to burn 300 calories in 1/2 hour only to negate it by eating HALF a burger at a sit down restaurant..... no thank you.

Here is my rule for restaurant food:  PREPARE.  My younger sister has really guided me through a lot of my eating neuroses when it comes to food.  One thing that she told me was to EARN my splurges and don't do penance workouts after you've eaten.  Gotta pay the piper FIRST.  Before you go out check online for the nutritional values for where ever you are going.  If you're a calorie counter, a Weight Watchers person or whatever your method is there are TONS of websites out there for you to find out what you are putting in your body before you put it there.  I could tell you just about everything that I would have on a "safe list" for any given restaurant in my city.  Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Lobster..... I know what I can eat with good conscious and what I should stay away from.  I could make you a list, from memory with the nutritional value of those items if you really want.

At home foods: PPP


PLAN.  Make a menu!  DO IT.  It takes time.  You have many things to factor in.  What will my family eat?  You don't want to leave them out of your healthy changes because it will make it easier to stick if everyone enjoys what you are cooking.  What can my family afford to spend?  How much time do I have to prepare?  What type of "diet" do I want to follow?  Do your research, save webpages of sites that you like that have recipes.  Don't get discouraged if you find that initially you are having to buy things you don't keep on hand like spices or other random things.  That will come in time after you kind of get down what you like to eat.  I love www.skinnytaste.com and www.cookinglight.com.  There are tons of recipes on there that are classic things that have been made healthier.  If you have something that you LOVE and want me to help you make it healthier let me know and I'm sure I either know of a recipe or can help you make one.

PORTION.  Get a scale.  Weigh your food.  I  know it's super annoying and no one wants to do it but in my experience IT'S NECESSARY.  Chances are you are eating too much and don't realize it.  Try not to choose reduced fat items just for the fact that they are reduced fat and you can eat more of them. If you really want something just eat a smaller portion of the REAL full fat version.  After a while your body will readjust and you won't require as much food to satisfy you.  If you find yourself hungry choose a GOOD SNACK which leads me to my next P.

PRODUCE.  Produce is your friend and it should be your BFF.  The majority of my grocery spending is on produce.  For a family of 3 I spend approximately $100 a week on groceries.  90% of the time I am eating food that I made, that grew from the ground and is fresh.  The other 10% could be restaurant food or something that I didn't make like pastas, taco shells (I tried to make those myself - YUCK).  Peppers, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, bananas, lettuce, avocados, carrots, apples, lemons, limes... you get the point.  Buy fresh food.  It's just better for you. 

If this helps you then great!  If it doesn't then eventually you will find something that does.  Remember it is not an overnight fix.  It takes time and trial and error.  Don't get discouraged.  I'm 2 years in and still haven't made it to my goal because I'm human and sometimes I just want a 1000 calorie cheeseburger.  Just remember that 1 bad meal won't ruin all of your progress just like 1 good meal won't make any.  You can't out exercise a bad diet and really... who wants to?

No comments:

Post a Comment