Sunday, March 2, 2014

Put down the McFish and walk away!

Sometimes you just eat something not good for you.  We've all been there.  No one can be perfect all the time as that would be incredibly boring.  It is a slippery slope though so you have to be careful.  One sandwich leads to two.  Two sandwiches today leads to two tomorrow.  A slip up every once in a while is OK.  When it becomes the norm then you have a problem. Don't go beating yourself up too bad because there is redemption! 

Overeating is an addiction. Period.  Don't let anyone tell you that it's not. The people who "eat to live" just don't get it.  You know those people who only eat because their body tells them to.  It SUCKS.  You eat shit that you know you shouldn't because you just can't stop!  It's a horrible habit.  I've been know to, at restaurants where they give you portions that are WAY TO BIG ANYWAY, to pour salt or water all over my food just so that I would stop eating it.  Super neurotic?  Yes.   Right now it's what helps me to stop eating otherwise bring on the overeating!

Don't get too down on yourself.  I mentioned that everyone struggles from time to time.  Every once in a while I just need to eat an entire bag of chips.  I know while I'm shoving them into my face at a rate that would probably cause most people to choke to death that later I'm going to be crying about it.  I am fully aware of the emotional ramifications and at that moment the delicious crunchy, saltiness is worth every calorie... until the morning when I'm bloated and questioning WHY WHY WHY.

Get back on the wagon.  I've made the comment before that I've fallen off the wagon and eaten it.  My sister, being the wise life coach that she has been for me, told me that everything comes in cycles.  There are cycles of being great, eating right, exercising and logging your intake.  Then comes the cycle where you just can't motivate yourself to do what you need to do.  Sometimes it might be 3 months doing great and a month where you really just lose sight of what you are trying to accomplish.  The trick is to make the cycles shorter on the bad times and longer on the good.  It really is just creating habits, good and bad.  The more you do something the easier it is!  Don't let one bad meal ruin your whole week.  Log it and move on.

Get a support system, it helps.  I use my sister. Great for me because she's walked the same walk I'm trying to master now.  I really look up to her and know that she will be there for me and will only judge me in her head, if at all.  I'm not sure how much she appreciates it because I know that she has her own struggles also but I lean on her anyway.  Find someone who will listen to you rant about food, eating, working out, cooking whatever you need to get you through it. There are online meetings, weight loss forums, Weight Watchers- where ever you feel comfortable.  I've had many people criticize my eating habits, my neurotic logging and food weighing.  Those are the people who need to F off and let you have your own journey.  The haters.  Stay away from them.  They are toxic.

Don't be afraid to throw something away.  We live in a society where we are (should be) taught to clean our plates and not waste.  Get the notion out of your head.  DO IT.  When you've eaten enough either portion the rest out and save it for lunch or dinner the next day or THROW IT AWAY!  You don't have to clean your plate.  The amazing thing about cooking your own food is that you know what's in it, it typically tastes better than fast food and YOU control the portion.  You control how big you make your burger.  You control the bun.  YOU.  You are the key.  YOU can do it.  You just have to start.  One change leads to two..... two to three... then it isn't a diet.  It's how you live.  You don't have to be a slave to food.

If you have a bad day just remember why you started to begin with.  To look good for summer, to be a good role model for your kids, to feel better, to fit into your wedding dress, to impress your spouse....  Whatever the reason you need to take care of your most valuable asset: YOURSELF!  Without your health you can't be there for your kids and your family and that shit is important!

I hope that this helps even one person know that it's not just you.  TONS of people struggle with over eating and portion control and food addiction.  When you are feeling weak send me a message, a text a comment.  I'll talk you down off the ledge.  Put down the McFish and come to the good side with me!  (And FYI the McFish isn't the worst thing you can eat of the McCrappy menu)  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment